Massachusetts Job Seeker Concerns
May 22, 2012
I have been fortunate to meet with groups of employees in job transition and to share thoughts on the legal rights of Massachusetts employees. On May 21, 2012 I presented at the ValleyWorks Career Center in Lawrence. I discussed severance agreements, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements and the laws in Massachusetts protecting employees against discrimination.
Even though I’m presenting, being in front of a group is always a learning session for me. This audience of job seekers had particularly great questions and shared their concerns, including the following:
(1) Suspecting that they were turned down for a job because of their age;
(2) Being laid off in a group of older workers;
(3) Being presented with severance agreements that they didn’t fully understand;
(4) Restrictions on their right to work after signing a non-compete agreement;
(5) How severance agreements affect unemployment benefits; and
(6) The right to bring age discrimination claims.
Massachusetts employment laws are complex and ever changing. If you have any similar employment questions or concerns, contact labor and employment attorney Maura Greene, Law Office of Maura Greene, LLC, One International Place, Boston, MA 02110, at 617-936-1580.